Subject: Re: [Leica] Political Correctness
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:18:30 -0700

Bob Walkden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> complete crap, of course. It is a good idea to involve the people you're
> photographing, and it makes an interesting project in itself to give cameras
> to some of the people, but the idea that you shouldn't photograph foreign
> cultures is ludicrous. David Hurn (Magnum) and Peter Jay have some
> interesting things to say about this in their book 'On being a
> photographer'. Here is an excerpt; myth #8 is directly relevant to this
> matter:
>
> http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/apr-myths.htm
>
> I have an interest in this because I have photographed quite widely in
> Africa, especially Ethiopia, so it's easy to guess which side of the debate
> I'm on.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bob
>
> >From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
>

> >Dear LUGnuts -
> >
> >The Project Workshop in Santa Fe with Sam Abell was very good.  Sam is a
> >wonderful teacher; however, I learned something that was both enlightening
> >and disturbing.
><Snip>

Where are all these gallery owners who think the subjects should be taking their
own pictures.
Talk about an enclave of puckey ultra PC liberals!
It's not like you are handing out dollars to homeless people on American city
streets and doing "character studies"
"look at all the lines in their faces!" "He looks 50 but he's only 20!"
Mark Rabiner