Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: viewing prints with loupes
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:08:58 -0700

><Snip>
> The original pre-war edition of the "Leica Manual" referred to people
> who inspected prints from close-up as "grain sniffers", and expressed
> strong dissaproval of the practice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Doug Richardson

I wonder of gallery owners use that term?
I am guilty of that. I go right up to most prints and sniff the grain.
 	Taste the grain consistency and crunchiness.
		Try to guess how much sulfite per liter was used or the developer.
			Try to guess HOW THEY DID IT! A big question for me.
	An artists visionl i don't go there, but I DO like to know whats happening
behind that curtain.

I sniff my own grain, after the prints are dry and I am spotting the prints with
my OptiVISOR with #2 magnifier.
I check for corner to corner tight crispy grain pattern on my 11x14's.
And when people have come here to pick up their prints I'm known to put that
OptiVISOR right on their heads so they can inspect the split ends at the ends of
their eyelashes I am getting with my Leica M lenses and Delta 100 or 400 in Xtol 1:3.
"More then you want to know about how I shot your picture" by Mark Rabiner