Subject: RE: [Leica] Political Correctness
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 09:58:11 -0400

Tina - You know I'm not one to ever say what I think..;-)...But I think that
the reaction is really pretty revolting...You are a photographer. Period.
You are not a "woman photographer," a "South Carolinian Photographer," or a
"First World Photographer." You are a  photographically skilled artist and
documentarian with a camera, who, because of the strength of your
interpersonal skills and photographic skills, your subjects have welcomed
into their lives.

Your subjects, be they in Honduras or Charleston, are NOT photographers,
nor, for that matter, are they writers. They are farmers, etc. The idea that
one should be politically correct and build a book around them taking "happy
snaps," or "sad snaps" as the case may be, is so politically correct as to
be really laughable - were it not so sad and dangerous. If someone wants to
do a book like that, fine. But that is not the book, with all due respect,
that you should be doing.

And by the way, why is it more than legit for Sabastio Salgado to travel
around the world documenting the misery of third worlders, while it isn't
for you? Yes, he was born in Brazil - to a middle class family. He is as
much a third worlder as I am - and I am most assuredly not. Is Nachtwey a
third worlder? Is Eugene Richards a poor black?

Stick to your mission. Stick to your art. You will find a publisher,
galleries, etc.....

B. D.