Subject: [Leica] Red Scale Elmar Question
From: "Jim Licquia" <licquia@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:10:37 -0500

Dennis Laney and some others have stated that the change from black to Red
Scale took place at in 1951 at number 905000 (Leica Collectors Guide, 1992,
Laney). I have a lens that is serial number 906XXX and it has the black
scale. I corresponded with Jim Lager about this lens awhile back and it was
his opinion that the change to the red scale at 905000 had not been
sufficiently documented so as to be a hard and fast rule and that it may
have occurred later than that.

Leitz was known to have used up left over components in some lenses and
cameras over the years. I suspect just from the results of using the lens,
that mine has red scale optics but still has the black scale markings for
the reasons mentioned. Perhaps your lens, being an even later example than
mine, falls into the same category.

Jim Licquia

>>>Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 9:11:55 EDT
>From: Mark Langer <mlanger@ccs.carleton.ca>
>Subject: [Leica] Red Scale Elmar Question
>Does anyone know at what serial no. did the production of the red scale
>elmar begin?  I've been told at 1,000,000, but I have come across a
>bizarre hybrid numbered just above that.  It has the same chrome finish as
>the red scale, but the body ring (with measurement of distance, not
>D.O.F.) as the previous coated Elmar model.  Were there transition models
>early in production?

Mark