Subject: Re: [Leica] optical excellence and the human error factor
From: "CIS" <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:03:41 +0100

Am I missing something here?  Manual focus is totally dependant on the
quality of the focussing system (M6 rangefinder mechanism) and the
photographers eyes.  I do not understand why autofocus is being compared to
manual focus.  Of course autofocus is quicker in most lighting situations,
although not always more accurate, as it does not require human
intervention.  As for the low level light focussing of an F5, you may think
it will focus at EV-1 but you will surely miss opportunities.  The focus
mechanism hunts like crazy in very low light - I know because I have used an
F5 for three years.  The SB28 flash with the IR emission helps as the AF has
something to focus on but I do not use the F5 for any non-flash low light
photography now.  Give me the M6 and Noctilux any day and I will trust my
eyes.  I may be slightly out of focus sometimes but at least I get a shot,
whilst the F5 AF would still be hunting around for focus.

Simon

Message from "Marthe.Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] optical excellence and the human error factor)