Subject: Re: [Leica] OT on eBay
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 21:09:58 +0200

Robert Jagitsch wrote:

> (1) For photo equipment, don't use a reserve. You will always get
> more bidders, and usually a higher price if you don't use a reserve.

Maybe, but you also run the risk of having to sell your equipment at less than
you had in mind. I prefer to set a reasonable reserve (=the lowest price I would
be prepared to sell for). If it is exceeded, great, but at least I know I will
not be forced into a crummy deal.

> If you look at current auctions, you'll see many people that have "NO
> RESERVE" but put the first bid at $2000. This rarely attracts very
> many bidders.

I agree with that. I put the first bid at something trivial relative to the value
of the item. That first bid is crucial to getting things started.

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland