Subject: Re: [Leica] Any expert level R-Leica users?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 07:53:40 -0700

ted Grant wrote:
 > > I hope this answers your question.

Austin Franklin responded:
> Yes, thank you.  Aren't there two winders for the R8?  Their brochure shows
> a beast of a 'motor drive' and then a somewhat svelte 'motor winder'.  Any
> issues you could advise on for either of these.  I am inclined to like the
> 'motor winder' because of its smaller size.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Austin,
That's correct. However, one is inclined to work with the faster motor
for  sports or other quick moving subjects .  Having used both, I used
the winder first due to the delay of motor production, I found the
winder operating as slow as a model T Ford, compared to the accelerator
response of the motor much like stomping the gas pedal of  a Ferrari!
:-)  Exaggerated somewhat, but you get the meaning.

Yes the motor is slightly larger/heavier, no bother one soon learns to
make better use of the arm strength.  But there are benefits accorded
through its use, auto-bracking and auto rewind for one.   I realize for
some shooters this is considered a frill. However, for many working
photographers and certainly those of us older shooters, every second
saved is a second more available of life for better use than manually
this yet, just add a few more decades and they'll be very aware of it.
;-)  Another bonus with the motor is the hand strap which allows better
handling stability.

> And...size wise, how does the R8 compare to the M6?<<<<<<<<<<<

This is akin to comparing Porches to Mercedes:  After a short period of
assimilation it's not relevant.

>  feel much bulkier than the M6?<<<<<<<<

Yes obviously, but after a few days working them both at the same time
it doesn't matter, as your hands automatically configure to the camera
without thought.

size, I really am a minimalist when it comes to gear (aside from the UV
filter that is ;-), and the smaller the better...<<<<<<<<<

I would assume that's a given for any photographer.  But in my case
which camera or cameras are used is determined by the kind of assignment
I'm working on or whether I need B&W and colour at the same time.  ( a
pain in the ass!)  Also times when the R8, because of it's obvious size
compared to the M6, give the photographer the appearance of "one of
those media types", quite often these days a negative connotation.  That
is another consideration particularly when one wishes to look like a
"pointie - shootie" photog.

Again I trust this allows you the understanding of why some use both and
sometimes prefer one over the other,  with no thought of which we use as
long as we have them to use.
ted