Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA M6 Question/Complaint (!!!)
From: Gaifana@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:32:48 EDT

If Leica did that, it's probably trademark infringement.

An interesting story: I recently had an opportunity to interview the
principal of one of the bigger model train companies in connection with a
case I was working on.  He told me about how he was having some locomotives
made in Korea.  He wanted a certain quantity at a certain price (let's say
100 at $100).  He attempted to negotiate the price down and when he thought
it was down to $90, he sold.  BUT, what really happened was that he got 100
at $90, and the manufacturer made another 20 which it then sold, USING HIS
BOXES, grey market in the United States.  The Korean fabricator had reduced
its average cost by upping the production THEN maximized profit by cutting
out the US seller.  Sound familiar?

I would bet that Leica made more LHSA models because there was a market for
black paint and the brass plates cost more per unit (fixed costs) to make.  I
would guess that a lot of people buying them don't give a fig about the LHSA
logo (or LHSA, for that matter, which is the only thing uniquely LHSA about
the camera.  If Leica made zillions of the black paint models sans logo, at
the same time it was selling to LHSA, LHSA people would be steamed.  But this
way, it passes without notice.  Yes, LHSA gets more members - but Leica is
just shrewdly cutting costs.