Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: "Paul Bolam" <Paul@bolam67.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:14:13 +0100

>Has anyone seen, handled, bought and/or used a 280mm f/2.8.

I can only endorse the comments made by Ted, Roy and Harrison..........it is
a cracking lens. I bought mine secondhand last September. Optically it was
in good condition but the cosmetic appearance was poor.

As the focussing mount was sloppy, I handed it in to Leica UK for repair and
a CLA. Before I knew it, they had returned it to Solms and, afterwards, they
explained that APO lenses could only be serviced at the German factory.
Solms took three months to complete the work and I received it back last
Friday. The cost was reasonable at 240 GBP and they have done an excellent
job. They even repainted the aperture and distance markings on the aperture
ring and barrel (which i didn't expect).

So, if you see a well-used secondhand lens available it is still worth
considering if the price is right. I'm certainly glad I took the plunge. My
280/2.8 is a 1986 vintage and the glass looks as good as new now.

> Also, when used with an R8, the 2.8 aperture will appear in LED display as
3.4, but the metering appears to be on the mark.

Roy, your mention of this intrigued me and I checked on my R8 and I got the
same readout on the LED display. Wonder why this happens?

Finally, the lens comes with a neat handgrip. I was sceptical about its
effectiveness but followed LUG advice and find it is very useful. You can
use this lens handhold this lens.

Cheers,
Paul.