Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica initial quality story
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 12:04:05 -0400

> Given Jim's story, this may be a good moment to revisit the arguments for
> buying Leica equipment from your friendly local dealer rather than from
the
> mail-order places.

If this is the 'quality' I am to expect from Leica, I assure you, I will
not be buying Leica from now on.  Fortunately, all my 6 major pieces of
Leica gear I have does not have any problem I have noticed.  Your proposal
is 'solving' the symptom, not the problem, and I rarely like solutions like
that.

Either way, it is a waste of my time to drive back and forth to a dealer
almost one hour away to return defective merchandise that should not be
defective in the first place if they had real Quality Control.  It actually
is less time for me to put the item in a box and go to the post office.
 This really isn't the point, anyway.  The point is, for the kind of money
we pay for this gear, it should arrive flawless, period.

Also, if the camera can't take the shipping, it ain't gonna take the use I
give it...

I would suggest people write to the factory and Leica US when ANY quality
problems like this arise.  If they (Leica) don't know about the problem,
they (Leica) can't fix the problem.  I don't know what the dealer is going
to do with the other two cameras, perhaps just put them back on the shelf,
or (I would hope) return them to Leica for new ones.

Replies: Reply from "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se> ([Leica] Leica initial quality story)
Reply from "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Leica initial quality story)