Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning
From: "William Gower" <wgower@eco-tec.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 14:11:07 +0000

Cleaning up my "outbox" and I realised I never sent this:

Arthur wrote:

>From: ARTHURWG@aol.com

> Anyone who would use acetone on a Leica lens should go directly to a
> psychiatrist. A much better alternative would be 180-grit sandpaper. Arthur

To which, (in good humour) I'll reply with:

....anyone who can afford to see a psychiatrist can probably afford to use
Leica equipment.

Which begs another question, do you think Freud used a Rollie or a Leica ?

But seriously, my very judicious use of solvents have not caused any visual
problems. Or at least, has they have not manifested themselves in any
detectable way over the last five years. This goes for my other non-Leica
lenses (non-multicoated Nikkors and Pentax 67's) as well.

Maybe you were thinking acetone APPLIED with 180 grit sandpaper...?

Could you or someone elaborate as to why this is a no-no ? I'm all ears.

Regards

William

Replies: Reply from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] Lens Cleaning)