Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 w SF 20 flash
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 22:05:20 +1000

Martin Howard wrote:

> Why not use the Metz mecablitz 34 CS-2??  Looks like it's the same size as
> the SF20, but has a higher guide number.  Goes from 24mm to 85mm, looks to
> me like the perfect companion for daylight fill-flash on an R8...

I'll chip in here.  The reason to use the SF20 is that it is designed to
be a perfect match to the M6TTL and R8.  And it is, 'specially for
daylight fill.  It's designed to be used in TTL mode, with freedom in
selecting apertures.  Flash dosage is very accurate in this mode.  And
it also works very well with the three auto apertures - 2.8. 5.6 and 11,
with M6 regular.

The reflector is well separated from the lens (same as 34CS-2) to reduce
red eye effect, and it's very light so that I hardly notice it's on the
camera.  I consider that lithium batteries were a good design choice -
they'll still be working in years if your just an occasional flasher.

The only drawback is that with an M and max 1/50th sync, small apertures
are the result on sunny days, which means limited flash range.  Even so,
this hasn't been a problem, 'cause 'get close' is the golden rule. And
when the light is not so bright, using M's is all about the wider
apertures and ambience, so flash power is not such a big problem.

With all things photographic being compromises, the SF20 is a good
balance of power, size, weight, longevity and features.  I'm happy with mine!

but there's this second hand metz 60 setup at the local shop .....   KaPOW!!!

Regards

Rick Dykstra