Subject: Re: [Leica] Vintage M observations
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:42:57 -0400

do you all believe that leitz--that of course should be their name not
leica-has made significant progress since the m4 or even my m2s? take for
example the elimination of the self-timer.  this is a tragic shortcoming as
it
is invaluable  for steady slow speeds. to say they needed the space for the
battery is of course a crock. they did this just to save money like they
removed the exquisitely machined captive, automatic 1/4 twenty and 3/8"
adapters top &bottom of the large ball &socket hear, money not passed along
to the buyer.  then there is the current standard viewfinder with 28mm
lines added to a m2 finder whose 35 framelines( for which the finder was
created) reduced. the state of the art finder they should have this late th
would included  automatic field reduction actually in a japanese rf forty
years ago. its like you have a spouse everyone knows is a drunk but nobody
calls attention tol it.  there is also the incredible fact that the r3 and
r4 were actually discontinued
minolta bodies --they even accept the cheap minolta winders. to get a fast
35 right, nikon hit the bullseye with the 35f1.8(available in leica mt) I
lost couont on  leica attempts after the first okay 8-elelement german 35 f2
with elegant focusing device ,lesser
6 element then 7 element canadians .  too bad hexar,voightlander
ne cosina) or a limited edition nikon s-3 dont hardly reach the point up
the phographic everest the  m2,m4 were at nearly fifty years ago. but hey,
i like my m2s, like em better than your m6ss, whatever.  now for
fireworks.did someone suggest fll w/200 speed?