Subject: [Leica] M3 repair/refurbish
From: "Slomovitz, Bruce R." <slomovit@spawar.navy.mil>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 19:23:56 -0400

Anyone,

I have been away from the group for about 2 or 3 years.

I recently acquired an M3 from my uncle who bought it new in Germany in 1956
when he was stationed in Europe with the 82nd Airborne.  Since he is a
fanatic with all of his posessions, he took excellent care of it and used it
continuously until buying an M6 recently.  Since it always worked well, it
has never been serviced.

I always admired his M3 and in fact his M6 was what inspired me to get into
Leica a few years ago.  I have an M6 and when I advance the film on the M3,
it feels tight to me.  I'm thinking about having it overhauled.  The camera
is cosmetically quite nice except for a few burnish marks on the top plate
where the Leica Meter MC sat.  The leatherette is quite nice except for a
spot smaller than a pin head beneath the lens mount.   There are no dents.
The carrying strap lugs are scratched from the use of a non-leica strap.  I
would like to have them replaced.

However since the camera has never been serviced in 44 years, I would like
to have it serviced.  The last time I subscribed to the list, I saw the
names of a number of repair shops mentioned.  I would appreciate an update
on repair places which people have used recently and consider to do good
work.  In particular, I would like to know if people still regard Sherry
Krauter with the same high opinion as they did a couple of years ago.

Thanks,

Bruce S.