Subject: [Leica] Recommendations for San Diego and New Orleans?
From: "Barker, J. Madison" <Matt.Barker@KutakRock.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:50:06 -0500

Martin Howard wrote, in part:

> I'm going to be attending a couple of conferences in New Orleans, LA....

Martin,

Where y'at?

I lived in N.O. for several years and here are some random thoughts and
recommendations:

First and foremost, in a word, EAT!  Best food on the planet.  Some of my
favorites are Mandina's on Canal north of the Quarter, a fine example of the
basic, local eatery; Praline Connection on the back side of the Quarter,
wonderful "soul" food; Camellia Grill on Carrolton where St. Charles ends
(streetcar friendly), killer omlettes; Uglesich for seafood; Antoine's for
one of those meals you never forget.  There are hundreds more; ask a local.

I second those who have recommended getting out of the Quarter; it's great
but it ain't all of N.O. by a long shot.  Just across St. Charles from
Audubon Park and the zoo is my old school, Tulane, a beautiful place and
good photo op.  Just next door is Loyola, ditto.  Magazine Street has lots
of funky shops.  The French Market is good for pics too.

I like Nick Castrogiovanni's (sp?) Big Train Bar (aka Nick's), across Tulane
Ave. from the Dixie Brewery; you can make up a name for a drink on the spot,
and they'll make it for you without batting an eye.  Think I'll try a
"Rangefinder" next time.  If you like live music, consider Tipitina's on
Napoleon Ave.  Pat O'Brien's is something of a tourist spot, but they have a
lovely courtyard.

It's up to luck (his or her bad, and your good), but scan the obits and
maybe you'll catch a traditional jazz funeral.

Eh la la,

Matt (most a dese kids never heard of a erster po-boy, but dey catch on
fast) Barker