Subject: Re: [Leica] Film - freeze or cool?
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 22:09:06 +0100

>On Sun, 25 June 2000, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>

>> I hope someone has the definitive answer to this....
>>
>> In my new house in Switzerland the fridge is quite small and I suspect
>> that my wife prefers to keep food in it rather than my films. On the
>> other hand, there is a huge freezer in the basement. I recall someone
>> saying that freezing film is not good for some reason, which I forgot.
>> What is the scoop? My impression is that freezing is OK as long as one
>> allows the film 12 hours to come up to room temperature before opening
>> the plastic canister.
>>
>> TIA.
>>

>The "12 hour" rule gives plenty of time for the film and cassette to reach
>a temperature where condensation won't be a problem.  Obviously this will
>vary considerably depending on the local climate so 12 hours probably
>includes a very large margin for error.

The margin is about 90%.
I recently forgot to take the films (Delta 100) out of the freezer well in
advance as I had planned, and I had to use the film an hour after I took it
out. No condensation problem.
However, Nathan, don't put your Xtol stock in the freezer. If you use
tightly closed, full brown glass bottles, you do not even need a fridge.
;-)

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or