Subject: [Leica] Re: sync at 1/500 sec
From: Brougham <brougham3@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:17:20 -0700 (PDT)

"M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com> wrote:

> As an update of sorts, I was talking about my flash desires with my
> local shop (PhotoMarket in Portland, ME) and the owner, Pete,
> mentioned that Canon and Nikon have flash units for their modern SLRs
> that will strobe fast enough to allow for a fill flash effect at upto
> 1/1000 with their FP shutters. What we have yet to ascertain is "will
> these flash units provide the same use on an all manual camera, or
> does the body need to send a TTL signal of some sort (telepathy?) to
> the flash in order to take advantage of the use."

Hmm...  I need to play around with that and find out.  :) I have one
of the earlier combos that did this...Nikon N90 + SB25 flash.  Normal
flash syncs at 1/250th, and this will allow sync from 1/500 through
1/8000.  It basically acts like a flash bulb...instead of the burst
lasting 1/50,000, it strobes the bursts together so that the next one
starts as the last one is falling off, and the entire sequence lasts
slightly longer than 1/500.

It's not as useful as one might think.  I've owned my N90 for close to
10 years, and I've only used this feature once--close to when I first
got it.  It's much easier to make sure you can shoot at 1/250th
because then the flash will be TTL-adjusted.  It's on full manual on
the special strobe setting.

Thanks for the experiment idea!  I'm off to go play.  :)