Subject: [Leica] Business is Great...Why Should They Change?
From: Bill <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:58:11 -0700 (PDT)

Leica has a "cash cow" in their USA service facility.  They have all
the business they can handle--They are changing up the "ying-Yang"
for everything--and the dentist who goes out and buys a Leica camera
has no idea about the crappy service until after he send his camera
in. Leica's New Jersey service department is bringing in
big-bucks...why should they change?

In my opinion, Leica is no longer in the photographic business.  They
are in the collectable and the status symbol business...and, there is
nothing wrong with that.  Herr Cohn was hired to turn the company
around from a profit stand point.  He was not hired to produce great
professional photographic equipment.

With this in mind, you should look for future Leica Camera products
to fall into one of those two categories.  A Leica Medium Format
(even if it is made in Japan) would make a great status symbol for
any dentist worth his salt.  A "Lady Di" commemorative would have
wide appeal as a "collectable".

In case you are wondering...the M6 (none TTL) is my favorite camera.

Regards,

Bill