Subject: Re: [Leica] Jim's Lens Selection
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 13:47:23 -0700

Dave

>>O.K., tell us why the 15 Heliar instead of, say, a 21 or 24?  The reason
ask... I've been thinking of getting a 21 or 24 to complement my 35, 50 and
90.  You need a wide lens for those narrow streets, etc., but I would have
thought something a little less extreme.  Maybe the 15 as a 5th lens<<

I have a 15 Heliar and a 21/2.8 ASPH and I use the Heliar 15 to 1 over the
Elmarit. Here's why...

The Heliar is small, so I carry it with me all the time. It was inexpensive
(relative to the 21 ASPH) so I'll use it more in risky situations. It has a
great finder (equal, IMHO, to the Leica 21 finder). The lens itself
performs extremely well.

The Heliar is REALLY wide, which is nice. Using it effectively takes some
practice. But I like the fact that it's a drastically different from my
standard lens, which is 35mm. For me, a 24 is just too close to 35 to
justify carrying both.

On the downside, I've yet to find a filter solution for the 15 Heliar.
Further, it's only f4.5, but I've had success hand holding as slow as 1/4
sec (at least success for smaller enlargements).

The 21 Elmarit is a more solid lens, no question. The Elmarit is better
optically (and is perhaps the best superwide available in 35mm) but it's
difficult to compare the two. They're quite different lenses. I don't see
them as "equals" in terms of use. I'm glad I have both.

The f2.8 maximum aperture of the Elmarit ASPH is a definate advantage to
that lens. I've used it wide open many times. It is a fantastic performer
at f2.8.

I use the 21 Elmarit for architectural work far more than the Heliar, but I
use the Heliar more for general shooting. I can't really say which lens I
like best. I've generated more revenue with the 21 ASPH, which is important
:-).

Dave

P.S. I read the digest and I fell a bit behind. I appologize if I'm
repeating something that's already been addressed).