Subject: [Leica] Leica Sighting at Nachtwey gathering
From: rkm <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 00:12:47 -0700

Hi gang,

i dont post much here but had to as just came back from a local
gathering of photographers called PhotoNight. Guest speaker was James
Nachtwey presenting slide material from his book INFERNO. Was it too
much to ask that the other Leica shooter was just sitting next to me
holding something that resembled a good user M4-2 in black.  I hadnt
noticed it until i pulled out my M6 b/chrome for a shot of Nachtwey. He
commented what a great camera i had, and i looked over and he gestured
with the M4-2 at hand. We gave each other the respoective nod of
appreciation! I think it was only fitting that Leicas were present for
recording the presence of one of the finest photojournalist still
living.

The evening had a special tension in the air as we witnessed the passing
of two photojournalists killed in the past month (i forget in which
country) and Nachtwey, obviously still having strong emotions of the
subjects he photographed over the course of this past decade, paused in
mid-sentence, too choked to continue his narration. He recovered and
went on to complete his presentation to an overwhelmed audience. It was
first class all the way.

I'm on the look out for his next compilation of images. He does not
focus on the publishing side of business but with INFERNO, he hopes
these images can be archived as a reminder of how we all must keep
striving to prevent such savagery and attrocities (in Rywanda, Somalia,
Kosovo, Indonesia, etc) from occurring.

When asked if he believed in God, after having seen the "depths of
hell", he calmly and quietly replied that he believes in humanity to
keep fighting against evil in man. I asked what he shoots with. Canon
EOSxxxx and TriX.  I would have thought a Leica surely, maybe in early
days. Does anyone know?

good night (or morning)!
bee lian