Subject: Re: [Leica] Rodinal and 100 Speed Films
From: "Robert Stack" <ticino@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 21:27:46 -0500

Hi Rich:
Agfapan, both 25 and 100  developed in Rodinal 1:50, are the mainstays of my
B&W work.  I use both M and R systems with these films.  Absolutely
wonderful results for my printing objectives and tastes.  I second Mark's
comment about the wonderful separations and an almost creamy appearance on
the fiber based papers I use.  I print only up to 11x14, but find no visual
grain and incredible sharpness at that size.  Too me the acid test is the
appearance of large areas of zone 5 or 6 tonality.  Does it have life?  Are
the subtle tonal transitions silky smooth and without visible grain?  To my
eye the answer is positive.
A few thoughts you may find helpful. (1) I think it is very important to
print using Leica optics to retain in the finished print the quality of the
taking lens; (2) I like Agfa 25 developed up to N+2 and the 100 to N+1 (the
100 gets a little grainy beyond that for my tastes - both easily take
selenium toning to add an extra zone of contrast beyond that). (3) I rate
the 25 at 12 and the 100 at 64 for my optical system and development
technique.  (4) I favor a 1:50 Rodinal dilution.  It gives the results
mentioned above without excessively long development times.  Having tried
1:100 I find the times too long without benefits I can see in the prints to.
However I do test this thesis twice a year to see if my evaluation has
changed, but so far not in the last 5 years.
If you need more info, contact me privately at ticino@earthlink.net.
Bob

Message from Rich Lahrson <tripspud@wenet.net> ([Leica] Rodinal and 100 Speed Films)