Subject: Re: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: Sonnar502@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 17:17:33 EDT

Hi Dan -

For me anyway, I agree with what Buzz was saying RE a clip-on shade (like my
12585 for the 50mm Summicrons) can sort of get gonked, knocked off, whatever
and hopefully take the brunt of those little bumps into chairs when you're
sitting down with the thing slung on a shoulder, etc.  OK, yes I am
paranoically aware of wonkin' on my camera and lenses after having finally
bought 'em, but you know, that sort of stuff does happen once in a while.
Perhaps it's nothing more than psychological, but I feel more comfy with a
"real" shade on the lens.  The rubber one reminds me of those inexpensive
('though certainly not ineffectual) generic rubber shades you can pick up in
almost any size at almost any camera shop.  And yes, the rubber one does seem
to shade the lens, but it seems I still have to be more careful than I'd like
to avoid light getting in there.  I have that sort of problem routinely with
the Rollei Bay 1, especially when I take out the Automat 2 and wind up with a
nasty swath of glare across the frame if I'm not looking out for it.

Anyway, uh, y'all sick of me bantering yet??? ;- ))
Scott