Subject: Re: [Leica] LUGMemo from Leica USA
From: "rlb" <rlb@triad.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 16:17:26 -0700

I think MAP stands for "Minimum Advertised Price" and I think it got started
about 20 years ago with the increase use of mail order.  I have heard
dealers complain about the extremely low profits that they make on selling
equipment.  Use of MAP was promoted by the independent retailers on  the
major product camera manufacturers so they could compete with the large
mailorder retailers.  It is my speculation that the major camera makers
provide incentives to the dealers that adhere to MAP prices, ie.,
advertising monies, rebates, etc.  In  my opinion it is a form of "price
fixing" and should be done away with.  Unfortunately it may have a negative
impact on the independent camera dealers throughout the U.S.  This would be
unfortunate, in my opinion.   Frankly, I will pay a little more to get
individual attention and service locally.

Here again,  these are only my speculation, not based on fact.

Bob Bedwell