Subject: Re: [Leica] One Eye
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:17:44 -0700

Tim Atherton wrote:

> I have both eyes functioning, but have an odd condition (which I can never
> remember that name of), whereby by they kinda function independently, so I
> don't see in 3D either (and don't ask me to catch a ball!)
SNIP

> I've always wondered how it effects the way I see and photograph - as
> photographs come out 2D - maybe it's an advantage? Maybe it gives something
> of a different vision? I don't know. (also why I like the Hockney quote!)<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Tim,

I'm sure it has effected how you "see photographically" as in
composition and balance of perspective.

How I see isn't something I can explain easily.  Without question being
one eyed has made an effect on how I relate to elements within the
viewfinder, whether that be an M6 or an R8 and how they go together in
composition.  I just look at the scene, whatever it maybe and it's like
everything is exactly where it should be and I press the shutter release
without ever really thinking about all the subjects bits and pieces.

If I were to say I see in the same fashion as a two eyed photographer
looking at a 2 dimensional photograph I'm not sure that would be
correct, but I suppose that's the way it is, simply because I only see
in 2 dimension.

In other words, I see everything as though it's already lying on the
surface of a print or recorded on a piece of slide film.  The Leica just
records exactly the way I see in it's two dimension plain.

I've been told by opthamologists that I've learned to see in a different
manner to folks who have both eyes functioning and what some people
consider a handicap is actually an asset of seeing differently.

So in that case it's great being a one eyed photographer! :-)  Better
still using Leicas to record how I see. :-)

ted