Subject: [Leica] 60 Macro Elmarit-R
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:23:24 -0500

About 10 years ago my local Leica dealer sold me a mint condition older version
of the 60 Macro with the tube for $250.  I bought it because it was such a good
deal.  I just put it in my bag, and didn't use it until one morning when we had
beautiful hoarfrost.  I took several pictures at near and far range on
Kodachrome 25.  The slides were incredibly sharp and brilliant.  I was very
impressed.  I considered this lens to be sharper than my 50 Summicron, which is
the original version, and is a very fine lens.  I have also conducted a
resolution test on this lens at the subscribed distance of 26 focal lengths,
where it performed superbly.  It is a beautiful performer, showing a very flat
field with resolution above 80 lpmm across the field from f2.8 to f11, both in
the sagital and tangential orientations.  Contrast and acutance were also
excellent.  I also took pictures of a newspaper picture at about a 1:4
reproduction ratio.  The printing pattern was resolved right into the corners,
which outperformed my other lenses handily.  I consider this lens, my 90
Elmarit-R (older version), and my 100 APO Macro Elmarit-R lenses to be my best
lenses.  The APO lens was the best for resolution, but we're talking about
gilding the lilly here.  If I were reduced to one lens, I would keep the 60.

My sister-in-law just bought the 60 f2.8 Nikor.  I plan on comparing the two 60s
soon, and will report the results to you LUGers.

Ferrel Anderson