Subject: [Leica] Leica R: Is it worth it?
From: "Anderson, Ferrel E" <AndersonF@ria.army.mil>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 09:55:54 -0500

I have always used SLR cameras.  I started with a Minolta SR-7 fitted with a
50mm f1.4 Rokkor lens, and am still impressed with some of the slides I took
with this outfit when the lens was stopped down to f8 or so.  Very sharp with
excellent contrast.  When I graduated from school, my wife insisted that I buy a
Leicaflex camera outfit to celebrate my success (she thought my slobbering
desire to own one was pathetic)!  So, I purchased a Leicaflex  with the 50mm
Summicron-R and the 90mm f2.8 Elmarit-R lenses.  My first impression, after
viewing my first Kodachrome slides taken with this outfit, was the outstanding
brilliance at every aperture!  What a difference from my earlier pictures taken
with the Minolta.  Sharpness was, of course, outstanding.

After many years of Leica R photography, I am still impressed with the
outstanding quality of Leica pictures.  I have been able to compare my Leica
slides with those taken by other photographers at many slide shows projected
with my Leica Produlux projector, and can state categorically, that nothing else
compares.  I have had people come to me after a series of slide presentations
and ask what camera I use.  They were that impressed with the quality of my
slides.  I've even sold a few Leica projectors!  I have also had the opportunity
to view slides taken with my brothers M2 and the 35mm Summicron (the six element
version).  My impression is that this lens produces slightly better pictures
than the ones I take with my 35mm Elmarit-R, which is an outstanding lens.  I
can see no difference in the pictures taken with normal and longer focal length
Leica and Leica-R lenses.  I plan on a comparative test of the 35mm lenses the
next time my brother comes to town.

For a good comparison of the quality of Leica R and M lenses to those of the
other manufacturers, see:  www.photodo.com/prod/
It is evident in the results of these tests, that the Leica glass, both M and R,
are head and shoulders above the rest.

I use the R6,  RE, SL and Leicaflex Standard cameras.  For ergonomics, I prefer
the Leicaflex Standard.  It just fits my hands perfectly, and I seem to take
sharper pictures with it.  The SL comes next, and the then the Rs.  The Rs are
beautiful cameras, but they are too small for my hands.  In this assessment, I
concur with Mr. Herr.   This said, I still prefer the Rs because of their
outstanding performance and their ability to use motors, interchangeable
screens, outstanding metering , etc..  I think that the  R8, on first
impression, is too large for my hands.  My first thought when handling it was
why didn't Leica make it like the original Leicaflex Standard?.   On the other
hand, the R8 seemed to be very steady in my hands, and this is very important.

Are the R cameras worth it?  You bet!!!!!

Ferrel Anderson