Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NY Times
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:19:46 -0400

Donal,
I am not sure how to reply to this as my original post was about how Formula
1 photographers are making a significant amount of money. So, as far as my
comment about the NYT being a liberal paper I should say that i am more
conservative than liberal, and as the owner/publisher/editor of a monthly
film trade magazine (www.icommag.com for those who wish to look, but the
print version is much better) my basic philosophy will always remain that
"editorial is the key to the universe" meaning that readers respond to
excellent editorial, which drives up the readership, which drives up the
advertising revenue. My thoughts were formed many years ago when, because I
hated school I did not go on to college, I served an old-fashioned
apprenticeship for four years on a small daily newspaper in upstate New York
learning the soup-to-nuts in every department. Back then the advt. to edit
ratio was 40-60% today it has reversed to 60-40%. So I am not here to argue
with anything that you say, except, as individuals we do not HAVE to listen
to the MBA's, we have choices. As far as I am concerned "editorial is the
key to the universe" and my advt. to edit ratio continues to be 40-60%.
Steve (who wishes he had the money for a 50/1.4) LeHuray
Annapolis