Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom depression
From: ray tai <razerx@netvigator.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 20:35:03 +0800

Hello Dan,

To the beginning B&W photographer, darkroom work is the most important
classroom of all.  I would recommend to the photo student that before seriously
shooting any pictures first learn how to print the traditional way.  Only when
you have gone through the pain and suffering of trying to print an
underexposed/overexposed, thin/dense negative will you fully understand and
appreciate the technical aspects of TAKING the the picture in the first
place.   I have friends who would show me contact sheets of Tri-X shot in the
middle of the afternoon with half the subject being the sky and they couldn't
figure out why it has no tones.  Try to print the sucker and you will quickly
learn how to expose it in the first place.

By the way should you choose to forgo the darkroom try Kodak CN400 which I find
to be exceptionally scan friendly.

Regards,

Ray