Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Dropping my Leica
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2000 21:13:48 -0700

On Mon, 01 May 2000, Doug Nygren wrote:

<SNIP>

> In contrast is my experience with my Canon EOS 1N. I was photographing a
> family, had the camera on a tripod, stepped away for an instant, and the
> tripod collapsed (it was a good tripod which I hadn't set up correctly).
> The bottom of the camera cracked and it took $300 to have it fixed. Got
> to love those upper end, plastic, Japanese cameras. Thank goodness Leica
> uses metal.
>
> doug nygren

I hate to burst your bubble, but this doesn't just happen to plastic non-Leicas.

My R4sP was given to me as a wreck, Leica USA having told my friend Gary that it was not economically repairable.  Gary had mounted the camera on the tripod, and the tripod fell over, breaking the camera's tripod socket from the metal main casting.  A new main casting was $100, I installed it, then had the camera CLA'd.  Valuing my time at $0, the cost of repair was over $300.

BTW the R4sP has worked flawlessly since then (4 years ago) and the only way I'll part with it is to pass it on to an appreciative next generation.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!