Subject: [Leica] A Leica tradition continues (long)
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 1 May 2000 19:31:00 -0700

How often have you heard of someone passing his or her family heirloom Leica to the next generation?  I've read of it here on the LUG - a battered, well used (and loved) IIIc or other Leica in need of a CLA and another 40 years' use, given to a proud, appreciative new owner.

A long-time friend, now working in one of the US National Parks, a long-time SL- and R-user, is downsizing his life to fit in his van.  He has "loaned" some of his equipment to me: a Pradolux RT 300 projector, a 21mm Super-Angulon-R, the famous 180mm f/3.4 APO-Telyt, and the fabulous 100mm APO-Elmarit-R.  He was due to retrieve the lenses last fall but we never made connections.

<WARNING: BRAG MODE IN USE>
I have often written to Gary of my kids' development, and since he has none of his own he had become an honorary uncle to them.  He's been especially fascinated by my 12-year-old (yes she's really 12 now, as of last friday), her exceptional intelligence, compassion, athletic and artistic ability.  Among other things she's my best art critic, with an eye for color and composition a kid ought not have, and being a kid she'll tell me the truth (i.e., "that one's not as good, daddy").  She also has an affinity for cameras and photography, understanding how a light meter works, the relationship between focal length and image size, and between shutter speeds and aperture, the importance of the background in the photo.

I spoke with Gary on the phone today.  We're going to meet some time this week so that he can retrieve his lenses.  He also asked if Kelsey (a.k.a. boof, a.k.a. Goldilocks) had a camera of her own.  I told him I planned on gradually, over the next few years, turning the R4sP over to her; Gary asked what lens she'd use, as he's not been using his 60 Macro.  So between Gary and myself, continuing an honored tradition, the kid will get her first Leica.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!