Subject: [Leica] Street photography
From: "peter stamos" <pjstamos@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 18:42:10 GMT

"However, from past experience in doing street documentaries in the US,
people there (obviously not all of them)seem to be more challenging to a
camera pointed in their direction, even on a crowded street."

When required, I make full use of an indispensible accessory and adjunct: my
115lb (8 stone or 52kg) male German Shepherd mix.

"I've had several people stop at the same time with..." Hey you!  What
the hell are you taking my picture for?" and none of them actually in
the frame at the time of the exposure, but the camera was in their
general direction."

I recently began photographing an indigent, young asian woman dressed in
sheer pink and cyan whose poor attempts at dance I at first thought were
intended as a parody of typical street performers, when she began gesturing
rather dramatically that she did not wish to be photographed. I walked a
short distance, moving well to her side out of sight and took a few more
photographs of her. As I turned to leave, someone passed me and angrily said
"Hey, buddy! she said she didn't want her picture taken!"