Subject: Re: [Leica] R8
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 13:56:07 +1000

Marthe & Rene wrote:

> P.S. Question about the winder.  The litterature says that the motor drive
> allows single, 2 or 4.5 frames a second. The litterature on the winder only
> mentions the 2 frames a second. Am I right in assuming that it also has a
> single shoot setting?

Hi Rene,

The winder does not have a switch to set it to single shot, but, if you
flip out the manual winding lever, then the winding functions are
temporarily turned off, so it works like a single shot. I'll admit, not
the most ideal setup for left eye shooters like me, but I've used it
like that.  Having the point of the manual wind lever pressed into my
forehead provides an extra vibration stabilising apendage, simply
brilliant! Bit painfull but. (let's see what the Deadman makes of that!)

This handy feature means that you can avoid taking two pictures instead
of one when pressing the shutter really slowly.  It's also handy if you
want to avoid the film automatically threading to frame 1.  With
trannies, I just love getting 39 from a roll, so I thread the film with
the manual winder.  When the heat is on, I let the winder do the
threading work.

Congratulations on the R8 acquisition.  Its a fantastic camera.  Like
you, I don't understand the criticism.  Sure, its biggish, but that's a
virtue when using the lenses in the R line up, all being on the big'n
heavy side of things.

Let us know how you go!

Regards

Rick Dykstra