Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: "AWSteg" <upstream1@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 23:42:46 -0400

Go get em sparkey!

Al Stegmeyer
- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Herr" <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Friday, April 14, 2000 10:49 PM

> On Fri, 14 April 2000, FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
>

> > Am I crazy? Is this really a serious discussion? Have you people ever
looked
> > at a truly fine print? Is there even a serious issue here? Silver paper
is
> > dead and digital is the answer? Not yet in my estimate! Or maybe it's a
joke
> > and I missed something?
> > If not, buy a P&S pixel camera. plug it into your computer and printer
or
> > scan your images and have a good time. But do not think that your
scanned
> > images can match a well-done print. (I am being had, right?)
> > Bob Figlio
>
> Bob,
>
> Crazy or not, a high-resolution scan of a good chrome or neg can be used
to make outstanding prints.

> A comparison of my own B&W prints from ages ago with the demo B&W LightJet
prints on display at Palmer's (2313 C street, Sacramento) would leave one to
believe digital printing is the only way to make prints.  Obviously this
comparison leave much to be desired.

> I have been able to compare Cibachromes and type-C prints (via internegs)
of my chromes with LightJet prints made from the same original slides.
There are always compromises made with either system (digital/LightJet or
analog/enlarger) but IMHO the degree of control, not to mention the range of
control over the digital image is far greater than is possible with the
analog/enlarger route and (again IMHO) makes up for theoretical compromises
in converting film grains to pixels.  Many of my own photos were unprintable
before high-resolution digital technology; now they can be printed to match
the color, tonal range and detail of the original.