Subject: RE: [Leica] LTM lens
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:43:02 +0100

Dave,
the Canon 50/1.8 was produced since 1950 until 1975. It existed in 3
versions all optically the same, the first exterior was chrome (till 1956)
with over 103,000 produced, the second was extremely rare (176 units) and
can be identified by upper and lower case engraving of the word 'Canon' on
the lens rim. The final version had nearly 87.000 units made and reads
'CANON' instead. Both the final two types were black and satin chrome
finish mounts.
This lens defined the last series of Canon optics and also established
(largely) the reputation of the brand, it was well regarded.
No printed authority I've yet seen offers any help on serial numbers for
Canons.

I hope this helps.
Jem