Subject: [Leica] SLR choice
From: Jay Coleman <jcoleman@interport.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 06:49:59 -0400

Simon:

For a lens, I would recommend the new 35-70/4 that was designed by Leica
but built by Kyocera (maker of Contax) in Japan.  They can be had used
for about $900.  It is much better than the earlier zooms.  Look at
Erwin's site:  http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/leicahome.html

For a body, I would suggest an R5 or later.  They are more reliable and
the viewfinders are brighter, although an R5 screen can be put in an R4
to improve the brightness.  If you prefer simplicity, consider an RE.
Despite what you say about the R5, R7 being too complicated etc., I
would get an R7.  It is more relieable and more robust.  For cheap, an
R3 will do.

The Contax system is also good, but I prefer the Leica glass and the
ergonomics of the Leica bodies (R4 on).

Jay Coleman