Subject: Re: [Leica] Intro to this list
From: Jeff Segawa <jsegawa@jademountain.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:30:59 -0700

Hi Matthias,

The M3 and M4 are certainly wonderful cameras! The late M3s with self-timer
and preview lever are especially nice to behold. I would, however, agree
with those who caution that older cameras may be in need of work; My M3
arrived with an original factory seal probably 30 years old, and while the
viewfinder was bright and clear, and the slow shutter speeds were okay, I
think the cloth portion of the shutter curtains were separating from the
metal, and probably, the camera could've benefitted from new shutter
curtains and general maintenance, perhaps raising the cost of the camera
from $550 to more like $800--still an okay buy, but not quite the bargain it
first seemed. The M4 is better as a user's camera.

I would be reluctant to pay more than $650 US for the M3 or $800 US for the
M4 (more, if it had been properly serviced by someone I trust) as I feel
that money would be better spent on an M4-2, M4-P or M6--these are not so
lavishly constructed, but they do have some functional improvements.

This past summer, I took a nearly brand-new M6 (I had run fewer than a dozen
rolls of film through it) and my M4 with me across China, from Kasgar, in
the Xinjiang autonomous region, through scorching oasis towns in the Gobi
desert, and eventually, into the steamy southeast. The M4's mechanism became
kind of rough in the steam heat of a Hong Kong summer, like the lubrication
was failing, so it was the M6 which saved the day. How hot and steamy was
it? Well, upon leaving the cool hotel in the mornings, the viewfinder
windows and the lens elements would fog up, and I'd be unable to photograph
for the first 20 minutes or so!

Jeff Segawa
See my photography online at
http://www.netone.com/~segawa