Subject: [Leica] Re: Invitation to HK based LUGgers
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 20:55:07 +0800

Following Howard Cummer's posting I decided to pay Schmidt (Leica agent
in Hong Kong) a visit, .  I got there
at 2pm today and Mr. Peter Kwok wasn't available.  I was instead greeted
by Mr. Jacky Chan (no, not the kung fu actor!) who is the sales manager.

Jacky brought out a large aluminium hard case and within there were all
the new Leica (and Minox) goodies!  I looked at the APO Summicron 90/2.0
ASPH first and it
turned out to be just as I had expected - very good handling and very
smooth to focus.  The APO 135/3.4 is very similar to the recently
discontinued Elmar 135/4.0 physically.  The Leica SF20 flash is very
well made and the ergonimics seem excellent.  I may get one in near
future for fill-flash as it is quite compact and inexpensive at US$168.
The lack of bounce
facility doesn't bother me as I already have a Metz 32-MZ3.  The R
35-70/2.8 ASPH is enormous, possibily even larger and heavier than my
Canon EF
28-70/2.8L.  Its filter size is 77mm so you can imagine.....  I found
the zooming and focusing lack smoothness and when attached to my R8, it
still looked rather excessive.  At $3,638 list (approx. $2,450 retail) I
will most likely give it a miss.  I paid less for my brand new
Hasselblad 503 kit with lens and film back!  Both the 0.72 and 0.85 M6
TTL were also there but as everybody is familiar with them I shall say
no more.

Another piece of new product that interested me is the Leica 5X
Magnifier.
It is very well made, but without a few slides on hand I was unable to
test its sharpness.  It costs less than I expected: $258 list ($168
retail) and this is similar in price to the also highly regarded
Schneider
6x Aspheric.  Of course, you also get a red dot with the Leica loupe!

The Power Pack MW R8 and Charger were also on display.  Like the Winder
R8, the power pack and charger are both made in Portugal.  The MW R8 is
very well designed and well made, and looks very sleek on the R8
Winder.  The increase in weight is minimal, and at $150 for the set it
will be a useful and affordable accessory for my R8.

My sincere thanks to Howard for passing the Schmidt invitation on.

JY