Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M2 question
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 13:16:46 -0500

- --------------66AE25E48CD3E1CD62C9F7BF

Alexander wrote:

SNIP

I inherited the following camera:
> M2 - 1161***, it says ERNST LEITZ GMBH - WETZLAR GERMANY on top. the lens is a 5
> cm summicron saying ernst leitz again. i was wondering If any of you knowIf this
> camera can accept modern M lenses. The lens  size seems very small to me (then
> again i am used to R lenses), and dont know If they have changed mounts since
> then.
> Of course, I have no idea how to use the camera either, but if it does work with
> modern m lenses, i am definately willing to learn. To be honest, i cant even seem
> to know how to focus this camera.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alexander

Alexander,

Lucky you. I love my M2. Functionally perfect well-built photographic
machine. Many Leicaphiles swear by them. Uncluttered viewfinder with
just one lens frame showing at a time. Viewfinder also represents the
classic Leica lens triad: 35-50-90. A wonderful photojournalist's
camera.

To use it just load film as per instructional diagram inside bottom of
camera. Make sure you reset the manual film counter after you've
advanced to frame 1. Then, use handheld or other lightmeter (or years of
accumulated experience) and set shutter speed and aperture to correct
exposure.

Look through viewfinder and overlap two images of intended subject until
they become one. Press little button next to shutter dial to expose
photo. Later you'll learn how not to focus by presetting lens and using
hyperfocal distance. To rewind, flip little lever right in front of
shutter release towards lens and then turn rewind crank in direction of
arrow. The little lever to left of lens (from behind camera) is your
lens frame selector. Lens change automatically indexes the correct
framelines but you can preview other lens choices with this lever
without having to remove current lens. To change lenses push little
button next to lens and while holding it rotate lens counterclockwise
until it stops and then remove it.

My M2 was my first Leica. I use it for travel and personal projects
because I can carry a couple lenses in my jacket pocket along with a few
rolls of film and a meter. I love it but must confess I do like some of
the conveniences of the M6 including its lighter weight.

Regardless, you lucked out and have a fine machine. Enjoy.

Carl Socolow
- --------------66AE25E48CD3E1CD62C9F7BF

begin:vcard
n:Socolow;Carl