Subject: Re: [Leica] Chalk and Charcoal in HC110
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 21:10:27 EST

Dan Post wrote:
>Tom-
>Okay, now clear one other thing up for me- You state the pharmacist mixes a
>1% solution of the KI solution for you- I got that.
>Now-  Do you dilute it to the .001% ( very very dilute!) solution that you
>add to the Beutler formula at the rate of 50ml per liter of stock solution?
>Once I get that cleared up, I'm ready to try it!
>Also have you done any film in a tank on a roller, a la JOBO?
>Thanks! Dan  ( Honey! What's this green stuff on my beam balance?!)  :o

Dan, you take 1ml of the Potassium Iodide solution, dilute it with 100 ml of
water and use the 25ml (for 500 ml of Beutler A) or 50 ml for 1000 ml of A. I
usually add it to the mix between the Metol and the Sulphite (don't know if it
makes a difference, but consistency rules in making developers).
 I have done film on (or in) JOBO processor. Nice system and if I consistently
shot the same film in large quantity I would probably still do it. My habit of
playing with any kind of film that I can lay hands on, precludes that. What I
use for fixing is an other labour saving device - an old UniRoller system. It
can handle the Patterson 3 and 5 reel tanks. I fill the tank with fixer, place
it on the UniRoller (which has a back and forth type of movement) and it is
plugged into an old Gralab timer. Set the appropriate time on it and it will
happily hum along, agitating the fixer and roll the tank. Works like a charm,
and at $ 20 for a used UniRoller, a bargain to boot. I have used the UniRoller
as a processor with one of the Crawley formulas,  the FX-1 and done film with
continuos agitation that way. Let me know how your Beutler processing works
out. I am quite sure that the Pot. Iodide only has a marginal effect - I have
used the Beutler with and without it and so far I have not been able to tell
the difference. You should of course pick up a copy of Anchells "The Darkroom
Cookbook" it is filled with formulas and can keep you chemically dependant for
a long time. Whenever I see old photographic formula collections I pick them
up - The 40's-50's British Journal Of Photography "annuals are filled with
strange formulas (even the later ones from the 60's have lots of formulas in
them. At that time Crawley of FX formula fame was the editor).
All the best,
Tom A