Subject: [Leica] Japs stole designs
From: "Gary and Dawn Klein" <gdklein@bytehead.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:22:48 -0600

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BE3B4D.0B137E20

Yeah they stole a lot of designs, but also they did some innovation on their
own.  Truth be known, my Leica is a true luxury for me, while my Nikons fed
and clothed my family for some 19 years.  Eventually, I will be able to dump
the stuff and buy into what I now call a necessity.  I have never been able
to afford to shoot Leica exclusively.  For too many years I made
McDonaldland wages in the newspaper industry.  If it wasn't for the $100 a
month dump I lived in while I was single, I wouldn't even have the M4-2, the
35mm f2 summicron, the 50mm f2 summicron, and the 90mm f2 summicron I bought
and still have to this day.  My parents thought I was totally out of it when
I bought the Leitz Focomat V35 right out of College, with no job in sight.
Little did they know that 3 days after delivery, I got my first job offer,
paying a whopping $180.00 a week.  Funny, I still have ALL my Leica stuff.
Many times, I have come to near financial ruin, but managed to hold onto my
Leicas.  Oh and by the way if you ever get to see a copy of the Best of
Photojournalism-8, look for the photo of Jeannie C. Riley.  Taken with the
M42, printed with Focomat V35, Tri-X at 1600.

Funniest part is most of my cohorts in the news industry who think that
Leicas are overpriced trinkets for the well to do.  I at one time thought
the same, and even got a rip snorting letter from Walter Heun at Leica, when
I was peeved at an exceedingly long long time for a warranty repair.  The
truth is there is a difference.  Today in fact I shot several images for an
upcoming bridal section.  I decided to use my M4-2.  The images were tack
sharp beyond belief and I think people aren't put off by the tiny Leica
(compared to the Eos monsters). They felt comfortable.  I was able to click
click click and get the job done.  I don't use my Leica very often for work,
but just a couple times of the year, when my Leica needs extra exercise.
Most of the time its used for personal shoots.

Contrary to some of your beliefs, not all Nikon F2 cameras were junk.  I had
an early F2 Photomic (F2 7177513) which was stolen from me when I was a very
very poor college student.  That was not one of Nikon's greater moments.  It
was one with the bouncing shutter curtain problem.  However, I still own a
Nikon F2T (titanium) that has required very few repairs considering
thousands of rolls of film have gone through it.  Yeah yell at me for using
at relatively rare F2.  It been fun using it.  Don't use it much anymore.

Gary

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BE3B4D.0B137E20

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =
size=3D2>Yeah=20
they stole a lot of designs, but also they did some innovation on their=20
own.&nbsp; Truth be known, my Leica is a true luxury for me, while my =
Nikons fed=20
and clothed my family for some 19 years.&nbsp; Eventually, I will be =
able to=20
dump the stuff and buy into what I now call a necessity.&nbsp; I have =
never been=20
able to afford to shoot Leica exclusively.&nbsp; For too many years I =
made=20
McDonaldland wages in the newspaper industry.&nbsp; If it wasn't for the =
$100 a=20
month dump I lived in while I was single, I wouldn't even have the M4-2, =
the=20
35mm f2 summicron, the 50mm f2 summicron, and the 90mm f2 summicron I =
bought and=20
still have to this day.&nbsp; My parents thought I was totally out of it =
when I=20
bought the Leitz Focomat V35 right out of College, with no job in =
sight.&nbsp;=20
Little did they know that 3 days after delivery, I got my first job =
offer,=20
paying a whopping $180.00 a week.&nbsp; Funny, I still have ALL my Leica =

stuff.&nbsp;&nbsp; Many times, I have come to near financial ruin, but =
managed=20
to hold onto my Leicas.&nbsp; Oh and by the way if you ever get to see a =
copy of=20
the Best of Photojournalism-8, look for the photo of Jeannie C. =
Riley.&nbsp;=20
Taken with the M42, printed with Focomat V35, Tri-X at =
1600.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =

size=3D2>Funniest part is most of my cohorts in the news industry who =
think that=20
Leicas are overpriced trinkets for the well to do.&nbsp; I at one time =
thought=20
the same, and even got a rip snorting letter from Walter Heun at Leica, =
when I=20
was peeved at an exceedingly long long time for a warranty repair.&nbsp; =
The=20
truth is there <EM>is a difference.</EM>&nbsp; Today in fact I shot =
several=20
images for an upcoming bridal section.&nbsp; I decided to use my =
M4-2.&nbsp; The=20
images were tack sharp beyond belief and I think people aren't put off =
by the=20
tiny Leica (compared to the Eos monsters). They felt comfortable.&nbsp; =
I was=20
able to click click click and get the job done.&nbsp; I don't use my =
Leica very=20
often for work, but just a couple times of the year, when my Leica needs =
extra=20
exercise.&nbsp; Most of the time its used for personal=20
shoots.&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =

size=3D2>Contrary to some of your beliefs, not all Nikon F2 cameras were =

junk.&nbsp; I had an early F2 Photomic (F2 7177513) which was stolen =
from me=20
when I was a very very poor college student.&nbsp; That was not one of =
Nikon's=20
greater moments.&nbsp; It was one with the bouncing shutter curtain=20
problem.&nbsp; However, I still own a Nikon F2T (titanium) that has =
required=20
very few repairs considering thousands of rolls of film have gone =
through=20
it.&nbsp; Yeah yell at me for using at relatively rare F2.&nbsp; It been =
fun=20
using it.&nbsp; Don't use it much anymore.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D160415602-09011999><FONT color=3D#000000 face=3DArial =

size=3D2>Gary</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01BE3B4D.0B137E20--