Subject: Re: [Leica] LEICA - M DRIVE
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 07:28:40 -0800

Mark wrote:

>To me a winder is a moterdrive that is smaller, quieter and doesn't
>always keep shooting when you hold the button down. It could even work
>with springs instead of batteries. My right eye and right thumb get
>along fine.>>>>>>>>

Mark,

a couple of things:

1/ I haven't seen nor used an M winder...battery operated that is
small...light...and quiet!  The thunk clunk every time you use it gives you
away almost as quickly as using flash.

But the main point you may not understand is....not everyone is right eyed
as you fortunately are  .....  perfect vision or not. In my case I have
limited to nothing vision in the right eye, can't use any camera with it.
Because of this affliction I tried over the years to use M winders...three
of them and sold all 3 as they make the camera bulky...certainly noisy.

When I had the good fortune to receive a Tom Abrahamsson Rapid winder a
whole new world opened for me as a left eyed M photographer..I could then
continue to shoot without removing the camera from my left eye to advance
film. It meant using the camera in an efficient and successful manner.
Rarely lost images while taking the camera from eye to advance.

You as a right eyed shooter should try holding the M to your left eye,
shoot and advance ________without removing the camera from your left

DO THIS WITH CAUTION:: as the advance leaver can take your right eye out!..
And I am serious about due care and caution.
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant