Subject: [Leica] Re: PC-Super Angulon-R F2.8/28mm... answers
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 18:36:03 -0800

I've had one of these lenses since they were available. It is indeed one of
my very favorite lenses. I rarely use my 24 nowadays, I always opt for the
28PC. It is a fantastic lens. And to use a LUG colloquialism, "tack sharp".
You can do amazing things with this lens. You can gain DOF buy racking the
shift to the top, then tilting the camera down for a "near-far landscape".
The field of focus is quite flat, but you can carry DOF at f/4 or f/5.6
that would normally take f/22. You, of course, can keep fences, buildings,
flagpoles, etc... all straight and vertical. I showed off this lens last
summer when I taught the San Francisco Leica Workshop.

Two kinds of filters can be used. B+W glass (unmounted) filters that mount
in the lens shade, and B+W 67EW filters. The EW means Extra Wide. The glass
is wider than the filter thread. Like 82 glass in a 67 filter. This
prevents vignetting. You CANNOT use any other kind of filter. ONLY B+W
67EW. Schneider lens, B+W filter... get the connection! The filter thread
mount is extremely thin because when focusing the lens, the lens housing
slides out over the filter threads. And the B+W 67EW filters just happen to
have ultra thin threads, like the lens shade. Dumb design. You cannot use a
polarizer in the lens shade without a huge amount of trouble. Use a 67EW
polarizer. But then the lens shade won't screw onto the EW filter. You'll
need a B+W wide angle screw in shade if you want a shade.

I'm at work so I forget the outside thread size of the 67EW filters and the
frameless filter size. If you are interested, I'll look at them when I get
home and send along the info.

Jim