Subject: [Leica] Re: Motorized Base
From: "Stephen H. Ellis" <sellis@zoomnet.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:46:25 -0500

 Subject: [Leica] Motorized Base Input

> I am reaching out to LUGGERS for some direction on a motorized agitation
> system for developing b&w film.  I have been interested in this for quite some
> time and have yet to make the move.  From what I can determine there are few
> choices, such as: beseler, Jobo, Doran, CIBA, etc.    I am soliciting your
> input and direction on the usage of a motorized system and your experiences.
>
> As always I am grateful for your input.
>
> Bob Bedwell
> Greensboro, NC

Bob,

I have a Jobo CPP-2 I am very pleased with, use it for everything
from 35mm to 4x5.  I would hate to go back to manual processing.
Ocassionally the "pre-owned" Jobo units show up in
rec.marketplace at a decent price.  Jobo service is probably one of
the best, so getting service or parts for a used unit is no problem.
A less expensive solution is to use a motorized base such as a
besler with the Jobo tanks which works pretty well. Besler motors
are pretty easy to pick up at swap meets.  I did burn out a motor
running large expert 4x5 tank on the motorbase, finally decided to
bite the bullet and by the CPP-2.   You can use a automatic
transmission funnel (one with a long spout available at your friendly
auto parts store) to pour in the chemicals while the tank is turning
on the base, to ensure even development.  All in all, I would
recommend the complete Jobo system, I really get good results
with it, even development, no streaking, ect.  Mostly running T-max
in Xtol.  BTW Jobo has a web page, with lots of info.

Good Luck

Steve
sellis@zoomnet.net