Subject: Re: [Leica] Russian lens quality
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 18:26:10 -0500

At 11:52 PM 1998-11-19 +0200, Mike Dembinski wrote:
>Back in the days before I traded darkroom for kids, 16"x20" prints were the
>final output of my photographic labourings. There's just no way those
>Soviet lenses could cut it at enlargements that size.
>
>So, there we are. For anyone hankering after a f/1.5 Jupiter or a 20mm
>Russar - the lenses may be one hundredth of the price (!), but if large
>prints are required, stick to Leitz!

This is absurd.  First, a LOT of us on this list have home darkrooms, but I
would suspect that damned few of us do larger than 8" by 10" work.
Anything larger escalates the cost dramatically, and, frankly, isn't worth
it, as the pictures then can only be displayed in a large hall.  I am a
proud Leica owner, but I'm certainly not wealthy enough to own a personal
art gallery!

Second, lens variations in SPS optics are immense, as they were with Zeiss
and Leitz lenses until 1970 or so.  These lenses are hand-assembled.  As I
have sad before, ad nauseam et ad infinitum, always buy with a MBG, and
pick-and-choose.  The best are phenomenal.  The worst are horrid.

Third, the design of the 1.5/5cm Sonnar or 1.5/50 Jupiter-3 dates from '31.
 You are buying, for $100, a 1931 design.  But, a good one WILL equal a
Summilux in performance.  I do not know this Mr Dembinski and, from the
rathe aggressive tone in his post, suspect he is a bit of an edge-liver,
but, if he wishes to post a one thousand dollar bond, I will provide him
for ten days with my personal 1.5/50 Jupiter-3 and 1.4/50 Summilux so that
he may test them himself.

Fourth, Mr Dembinski has never tested, apparently, the 5.6/20 Russar.  This
is a Zeiss Topogon design.  He should try it:  I have some edge
enlargements from 24" by 30" crops which he would find most interesting.

Fifth, that Mr Dembinski, buying in some Warsaw slum, has a single bad
experience is statistically meaningless.  I have owned dozens of SPS lenses
and currently own a score or so.  Pick and choose, lads, that's the way.
The best is yet to come.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!