Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apo 70-180/2.8 (was: Archive search engine)
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 05:01:29 EST

Eric:

I'm in my fifties and for some heavy lenses aggravate my mild arthritis.  I
certainly don't like the construction quality of the 70-300 ED Nikkor but it
allows me to concentrate on the subject.  It is small and light and quick, but
cheap.  I'll always prioritize the shot first and the equipment second.  The
F5 and lenses have never let me down.  I travel with my M6, I shoot action
stuff(mostly children) with the F5. I am getting back into the R8 but not to
replace anything.  As we discussed I want to be very selective in the lenses
that I choose for the R8.  I am leaning towards the 19,35,100.  If I purchased
the 70-180 it would probably stay in the bag  because of it's heft.  If Leica
had an "R" autofocus camera I would replace my F5 in a heartbeat.  I doubt
that I'll see it in my lifetime?

Bob Bedwell

<< >How does this lense compare in size, weight,
 >balance and handling compared to the 80-200 2.8 ED Nikk

 Sad to say, much bigger and much heavier. But it's smaller, I hear, than
 the new AF-S version. The guy I bought my lens from was in his 80s and just
 couldn't carry it. (Poor guy). :-)

 It does have a great tripod collar though. I suspect you'd probably do well
 with the 80-200 f/4 for your R8, if you can be happy with the Nikkor 70-300.