Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Apo 70-180/2.8 (was: Archive search engine)
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:19:28 EST

Nigel, Eric, Pascal:

I am very familiar with the 80-200/2.8 ED NIkkor.  I just sold mine which was
the model without the tripod collar.  I have a real problem with any
photographic equipment, be it tripod, lense, bags, etc., that is not balanced,
heavy and difficult to hold.  I don't have much arthritis but I can really
feel it with certain items.  The 80-200 was one that really bothered me.  I
fell in love with the much lighter and much less expensive 70-300 ED Nikkor
zoom and frankly I can't tell the difference in sharpness.  It is a real
pleasure to hold and it reaches another 100mm which is extremely useful.

I am in the process of getting back into an R8 (I will keep my F5 system) and
want to be very selective with the lenses I choose.  I have read the raves
about the 70-180 APO in this forum and I am interested.  My question is this
as I have never seen one.  How does this lense compare in size, weight,
balance and handling compared to the 80-200 2.8 ED Nikkor.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Bob Bedwell

<< I can't speak for the Leica 70-180 but the Nikkor 80-200 is a fine lens
 but not quite the legend it has come to be reputed.  I have owned 2
 versions, the one-ring AF-D and the latest 2-ring with tripod collar.
 The latest version is much better handling and has a marginally faster AF
 speed, plus the tripod collar is a welcome improvement which should have
 been part of the design from day one.  The lens is sharp and constrasty
 wide open and improves only slightly stopped down.  At 80mm it compares
 favourably to the fixed 85mm Nikkors and at 105 is almost the equal of
 the 105 2.8 Micro.  At the long end, however, the 180 2.8 EDIF AFd
 exceeds the zoom's performance markedly in the close range.  Considering
 that the 180 Nikkor and the non-APO 180 Leica I found very comparable,
 you should get some idea of the relative performance of the 80-200 vs
 70-180 Leica if you can compare it to the non-APO 180.  It should be
 noted that the latest 80-200 Nikkor's price has fallen into the under
 $800 range and likely will fall further as the 80-200 2.8 AF-S "silent
 wave" lens hits the dealers' shelves.

 Regards,
 Nigel