Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica 35-70 f4 update
From: Dominique PELLISSIER <pelliss@droit-eco.u-nancy.fr>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 10:39:09 +0100

At 20:27 16/11/98 -0800, James wrote :
>Hi all,
>
>I recently purchased a Leica 35-70 f4 ASPH lens and I'm sorry to report
after shooting three rolls of film with it and my Leica 100mm f4 macro
prime, I returned it.  The images bothered me in two respects.  The first is
that the zoom was not near as sharp as my 100mm macro at infinity.  Second,
the lens' contrast was marginally lower than the prime as well.  Overall it
is not a lens I would recommend,  in fact I don't see any improvement at
infinity between this lens and the original 35-70 f3.5.
>James Burris

##########
You have made 2 different experiments.
Firstly, you have compared things which are not comparable : a 100 macro,
elmar I guess, and the 4/35-70 at 70, I suppose. Secondly, you have
compared similar zooms with different lens design.
I am surprised by your remarks because they don't confirm MTF-tests made by
Chasseur d'images.According to the tests, the 2 vario-elmar zooms are
nearly equivalent : 4 stars.A noticeable result for a zoom.
As for the 100 elmar, it's not the brightest spark at infinity and at full
aperture ! (only "good", "fair"). You have to close at 8 in order to reach
the optimum ("very good").

I'm interested by your remarks because I consider seriously the purchase of
the new vario-elmar.

Dominique Pellissier