Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Minilux (WAS: Leica bashing)
From: Malcolm McCullough <blayne@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 22:00:41 +0800

I have been using a non-zoom Minilux for five or six months - with Agfa
RSX50 at first, then the excellent Kodak E200. I have been very pleased
with the results, especially in back-lighting. I think the lens produces
something of the Leica look - in fact I mistook one box of E200 to have
been taken with the M6. Of all my compacts (Yashica T5, Rollei 35, 35T,
35S, Minox 35something) I  rate the Minilux as top of the heap, equal to
the Rollei 35S. Honest!
My only two niggles are the number of times I have to press the mode button
to get to Flash Off and the ease with which you can make accidental
exposures. Oh. and I guess the inability to hear the thing go off in even
moderate levels of background noise and moderate levels of inebriation (too
much Rodinal  with Selenium toner chasers - I can't afford beer in
Singapore)...maybe the flash has a use after all. Umm, among my niggles are
the above AND the impracticality of mounting a lens hood or colour
correction filter. Yes it can be done, and yes, I will get round to asking
SRB to make a push-on adapter for 40.5 filters, but it will be a pain to
have to keep removing the thing when switching off the camera. That's no
different from the old Autorange 820 though. That was too damned quiet as
well.
Enough.

Regards,
Malcolm McCullough