Subject: Re: [Leica] which wide ange lens?
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 16:38:38 EST

The 2.8/24AFd Nikkor is the sharpest 24 I've ever used and one of a few
lenses I've actually tested against its Leica R counterpart (which is
admittedly an old design and probably inferior to the M ASPH version,
which I'd like to try out some day).   One of the reasons the 24 is so
pleasurable on the F3 (or any F-series Nikon, or the Canon EOS1/1n) is
the 100% viewfinder coverage.  Use a 21 or a 24 on a 92-93% finder (like
the amateur-market Nikons and Canons or any Leica R) and you will find
some real surprises at the edges of your shots when the film is
processed.  At least the M finder lets you see beyond the framelines,
imprecise as they may be.

Regards,
Nigel

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998 11:08:42 -0500 "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
writes:
>A 24, on the other hand, is a terrific wide angle which I used alot
>when I
>had the Nikon  version on my F3 - It's much more radical than the 35,
>but a
>more realistic view than the 21. If I could afford it, I'd grab one
>for my
>M.
>
>However, and I throw this out for discussion, I find that while the
>wider
>lenses are easier to focus on the rangefinder than on a non-autofocus
>reflex, they have one very distinct disadvantage - and that's their
>inability to focus close. With a 24 or 20 on a reflex, you can usually
>focus
>down to about 13", which means you can really fill the frame with a
>subject - sorry to sound like a one-man-band, but take a look at what
>Gene
>Richards does with the Olympus 20 f2....Because the M lenses only
>focus down
>to about 28", there's less ability to do those "in your face" kind of
>shots....

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]