Subject: M5 finder conversion
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 14:12:30 GMT

In message (no message ID)  writes:

> >5) Much longer effective rangefinder base length (68.5mm v 49.9mm) than
> the
> >M6 for focusing accuracy with longer lenses.
>
> This is not true, the effective base lenght is the same.
> It is possible to have the M4-P/M6 viewfinder added to the M5.

When the 'new' 28mm Elmarit came out (79/80?) I had all my cameras
converted to the 6-frame finder by Leitz in Wetzlar.  I had a customer
in the area (Asslar, just to the north) and called in for a chat and
to get odd jobs done every few weeks.  They gladly rebuilt both of my
M2s to add M4 flash synchronisation and the M4-P finder, but for well
over a year they maintained that the M5 could not be converted.

I kept on and on at them (Herr Wolf?) about this, and eventually they
agreed to 'try' converting my M5.  They succeeded, and seemed delighted
with themselves, but the day was overshadowed by the focussing mount of
my 50mm Summilux jamming in a most odd way (only when _I_ was turning
it).

Having had the 28mm frame added to all my cameras except the M4, I then
swapped the M4 for an M4-P at Foto Reichardt in Wiesbaden.  Then I
tried to order a 28mm Elmarit ...

It took me over a year to get the Elmarit - the final stage of the
negotiations being a lawyer's letter to Wetzlar threatening legal
action to recover the conversion costs if they didn't find me a 28mm.

- --
Phil Payne